Pronunciation

Pronunciation classes

 

This has always been a challenging topic, as a teacher I personally never want to change a students accent. I believe that it is not necessary, the importance is in what I refer to as clear speech.

 

We all want to be understood and this has prompted me to develop my own system of teaching pronunciation. Let us take a look at the following simple sentence construction:

 

Hi, my name is James and I live in London.

 

My teaching technique breaks each word down into sections and the word is changed to reflect a target sound. This sound is likened to other similar sounding words. Please take a look bellow:

 

High, m- eye nay m iz James and eye liv in Lun- don.

 

Hi- high

My- m eye

Name- nay m

Is- iz

James

And

I- eye

Iive- liv

In

London- lundon

 

Students could identify with this system very easily, and those who needed additional support were shown similar sounding words which they could identify with. Let's look at the following Noun:

 

James

 

I draw attention towards the similar sound of; 'same', and was very impressed with how fast my students hit the target sound.

 

I have developed my own system for the following sounds:

 

Ch

Th

Sh

S

 

I am now teaching other teachers on how to adopt this system, the most important feature is that it works so effectively. All my students will tell you that I request an e mail once a week with a recording of their voice reading an article of interest. I then note down the words that the student needs more work on, so that they can hit the target sound.

 

If you would like to try one of my pronunciation classes then contact me today, spaces are limited but you can reserve classes for the next available course.

 

 

Sanj Saigal

 

 

Comments